Your College Student May Need Their Own Insurance

Your College Student May Need Their Own Insurance

Packing for college can be hectic, but there’s one thing parents should add to the back-to-college list; an insurance checkup.

Your student will be thinking about classes, meeting new friends and finding a coffee shop open late, but the college experience could, unfortunately, be someone making off with their laptop or smartphone.

It’s a good idea to make sure your kid’s belongings are protected, just in case.

How to help protect their stuff depends on where your student will live, in the dorms or an off-campus apartment.


If you have a student moving into a dorm or other on-campus housing, there’s a high probability their stuff will be covered under your homeowners or renters insurance policy.

But you’ll want to know the policy coverage limits for personal property. Some insurance policies limit coverage for belongings while they are away from the policyholder’s home, often known as “off-premises coverage.”

The homeowner’s policy may limit off-premise coverage to a percentage of the total coverage, but that may be sufficient.


If your student will be living in an off-campus apartment, renters insurance is a necessity.

Many people mistakenly believe their landlord’s insurance policy will cover the structure of the building and all of its contents. A landlord’s policy will not cover tenants’ possessions.

An added benefit to covering belongings, most renter’s insurance policies provide some liability coverage, which may help prevent you from paying out of pocket if you are found legally responsible for someone else’s injuries or accidental damage to their property.

Premiums for renters insurance are low, typically less than $200.

College is an exciting time, but you want your student and their stuff to stay safe. Looking into your insurance before classes start can bring some peace of mind while they’re on campus.

RELATED: Before Sending Your Kids to College Review Your Insurance