- Article Archives
- No comments
The tragic story of Damian Young, who recently died in his Mid-City home after his room caught on fire, is a sobering reminder as to why it is important to have working smoke detectors in your home. Young, 37, often burned candles and incense in his room, which was located in a home he shared with family members.
Be sure to choose smoke detectors that are loud enough to alert everyone in your home. If you have a large home, you may need several of the devices to reach every room.
Check your smoke detectors regularly to ensure they are working. In most cases, if an alarm is not functioning it is due to a dead or disconnected battery. Some homeowners use a landmark day within a calendar year such as their birthdate or tax day to remind them to check the functionality of their smoke detectors.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the risk of death in homes lacking smoke detectors is double that of homes that are equipped with the alarms.
While it cannot bring back a deceased loved one, homeowners or renters insurance is also a valuable product in the event of a fire.
For tips on how to prevent fires in your home, as well as for more information on home insurance and other products, contact Chivaroli Premier today.